A recent Friends of the Earth poll revealed that 85 per cent of British people would like to see the Government increase the use of clean British energy and reduce the use of overseas gas.
This is not surprising as gas, coal and nuclear are the technologies of the past. Our country has the skills and the talent to be world-beaters in the renewable energy technologies of right now.
New onshore wind power is cheaper than nuclear power and developing offshore wind could create 66,000 UK jobs by 2020. We’re already a leader in tidal power, and our solar industry is a great British success, employing about 29,000 people.
This is why Friends of the Earth is urging the Government to switch from dirty imported fossil fuels and develop British power from our wind, power and water. It wants Energy Secretary Ed Davey to:
- Listen to what people want and tap into Britain’s wind and tidal resources and solar power.
- Ensure the UK isn’t locked into another generation of expensive, imported gas.
- Close the door on expensive nuclear power.
- Reverse the domination of the market by just a handful of big companies and allow new, clean companies get a look-in.
- Help millions around the country plug into affordable clean power.